immersive ambisonic multichannel installation and live performance
ongoing project series, duration and dimensions variable
entangled explores the nonhuman worlds of the Amazon rainforest, focusing on the fascinating complexity of the continuous sonic flow created by insects, birds, amphibians, mammals, reptiles, fish, plant species, soil, water and the weather.
The work facilitates a profound, active and sustained listening experience, cultivating intimate sensory encounters favouring affectivity over signification and representation. The listener-participants find themselves in almost total darkness, without images or objects, within a sound field generated by a multichannel sound system.
The work is a durational composition made from several hundred hours of environmental sound materials recorded in terra firme and flooded forest (várzea) ecosystems within the territories of the Amanã and Mamirauá reserves in the central Brazilian Amazon. The fieldwork was conducted over two months in the dry season 2015 in collaboration with local inhabitants.
entangled is experienced as a series of immersive installations and live performance events, featuring variable sonic materials and extended durations. The project uses higher-order Ambisonics, a set of spatial audio techniques that facilitate the use of a variety of multichannel setups and exhibition spaces.
EXHIBITIONS AND LISTENING EVENTS
– Amazonia, Pratt Manhattan Gallery, 29.09 – 9.12.2023, New York, NY | exhibition, installation, 6 channel setup
– Üle heli festival, eˉlektron, Tallinn, 22.10.2023 | concert, 23 speaker setup
– Oscillations & Modulations Festival, Northern Lights Project programme, Guildhall, Derry, 30.09.2023 | concert, 8 channel setup
– The School of Wild Listening, Unit 44, Dublin, 27.09.2023 | concert, 8 channel setup
– Audio Art Festival, Kraków, 20.11.2022 | concert, 8.1 multichannel setup
– Sons Creativos, O Vello Cárcere, Lugo, 24.10.2021 | concert, 8.1 multichannel setup
– Museo Reina Sofía (MNCARS), Madrid, 7.11.2020 | concert, 16.2 multichannel setup
– Festival de Tardor, Phonos, Barcelona, 29.09.2020 | concert, 15.1 multichannel setup
– Audiorama, Geiger Festival, Gothenburg, 27.09.2019 | concert, 24.2 multichannel setup
– Sonorities Festival, Belfast, 23-28.11.2016 | installation, 8.1 multichannel setup
– EARSHOTS!, One Hundred Years Gallery, London, 10.09.2016 | concert, quadraphonic setup
– Sonic Environments, NIME/ACMC, IMERSD, Queensland Conservatorium, Brisbane, 10-11 July 2016 | installation, 8.1 multichannel setup
ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS, CREDITS AND PRODUCTION SUPPORT
Supported by: Mamirauá Institute (Tefé, Amazonas, Brazil); Sonic Arts Research Centre (SARC), Queen´s University Belfast; Santander Mobility Award; Laboratory of Acoustics and Sonic Arts (LASom), Music Department of the Institute of Arts at State University of Campinas (UNICAMP) (São Paulo); T-37 (Madrid); Sound and Music (UK); Arts Council of Northern Ireland.
Special thanks to Silvia Jánošková, Maria Cecília Gomes and the field specialists, researchers, staff, and everyone who helped in Tefé and the riverine communities of Baré, Boa Esperança, Jarauá, and Horizonte, within the Amanã and Mamirauá territories in Amazônia.